Saturday, July 26, 2008

Big day...

So, I finally updated the time on the computer, so the posts will reflect NZ time. How confusing!

Got up this morning and decided it was time to accomplish some things! First on the list, a trip to the hospital where Cory will be working. Got to meet some of the people Cory had been talking to on the phone - finally putting a name with a face.

We then drove to a Honda dealer and promptly found two cars at the bottom end of our price range! Hooray! Test drove them both and, as of tomorrow, will have a dark green '97 Accord of our own. Oh, and I drove today too! No major (or minor either) accidents; still definitely nerve-wracking though.

After that, we checked in to the apartment that is ours for two weeks, while we look for something permanent. Two bedrooms, an open area with living room, dining area, and full kitchen. If you crane your neck just right from one of the windows, you can see the ocean.

The woman who owns the complex, Linday, mans the front desk and is a social networking genius (in a good way)... She has so far found every person in our age group that works at the hospital and is working her magic in the rental arena. Fantastic. If I'm not careful, she may have found me a job before I know what's good for me!

6 comments:

Fellingham said...

Glad to hear you are settling in and things are going well. Good luck with the driving thing... I suppose driving in NZ would force me to stop multitasking while I drive... not such a bad thing! I still want to learn how to surf in NZ so hopefully the lotto will be kind to me and I'll see ya soon! Miss you!

Lisa said...

Hey Payne,
Glad to hear you made it over safe and sound. Have some confidence- I'm sure you'll do great driving!

Lauren said...

Gotta love the Hondas!!! We miss you guys, hope you are having a wonderful time. You kind of know now what it's like to be a "Floridian" having experienced a tropical storm and all. Be careful driving and stay in touch.

momanddadc said...

Well we finally figured out how to reach your blog (with a little help from Bryce. Good to see that you got some wheels and a nice place to live for the next couple of weeks. Did you ever get the surprise gift we had sent to you? Take care and have a good time this weekend. If you go to Rotorua, ride the alpine ride and I hope you like the smell of sulfer. Love, Mom and Dad

Bob and Gail said...

I finally found your blog, after Annie walked me through it. It sounds as though you are both really busy already.

Bob's son, Andy, told us there is a difference in the way water runs above and below the equator. Check the way the water runs when you flush the toilet. Above the equator, the water runs clockwise; below the equator, the water runs counter-clockwise. Just one more thing different in New Zealand...

We'll enjoy reading your news and seeing your pictures. Take care of each other and have a good time :-)

BKNTHEBOYZ said...

We have been reviewing your pics. Looks like NZ will be a lot of fun to explore. Hope you are starting to adjust to your new environment.

Take Care & Have Fun!

BKNTHEBOYZ