Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hiking to the Pinnacle

We left for our big hike about 12:30 on Saturday. Cory has done some hiking, or “tramping”, as they say in NZ, but I’ve never done anything other than a walk in the woods, certainly nothing that required me carrying a pack. And, really, carrying the weight of my body is just about enough these days.

We’d been to the Coromandel Penninsula just a few weeks ago; it is a very beautiful area. One of Cory’s co-workers recommended this tramp through Kaueranga, which is a regenerating kauri forest. Apparently, kauris are the second largest tree, and had been heavily forested up until about 1920, when they’d pretty much taken what they could. But the area was still very wooded, with several small streams throughout the area, as well as many cliffs and peaks. The Kaueranga is also in the Coromandel Mountain Range, one peak of which is the Pinnacles. The Pinnacles was our destination; we hoped to hike to the hut that is just below the Pinnacles, stay the night, hike the Pinnacles Sunday morning, and then hike down before heading home. All total, we were looking at about 9 hours of hiking, my first trip of that length and my first trip with a pack. Of course, I hadn’t really done the math in my head or that probably would’ve scared me off. I’ve a weak mind, what can I say?

The first afternoon’s hike was okay; quite a bit of uphill, which I guess was to be expected. As many of the areas we hiked through had once been part of the forestry operation, there were sign posted points of interest. Also, and quite conveniently, along the tramp were stone steps that had been created for the horses carrying supplies to trek up. So that made much of our upward climb easier. I think it was easier at least. There were some pretty steep steps, and no shortage of them. I kept telling myself that if a horse could do this, so could I. I’m not sure it’s a favorable comparison, but, well, whatever works…

We made it up to the hut that evening, just before nightfall. The hut was surprisingly large, built to bunk 80 people. While it wasn’t full, there were about 45 other people up there all ready; 21 one of them were 14-year-old girls. Take that in for just a moment. These 21 girls had come up with 4 adults (yeah, take that in) as part of a school program. They really did pretty well, considering they were 21 14-year-old girls.
We used the gas grill to cook hamburgers and veggies that night, and then warmed s’mores (I will only go on campouts that involve s’mores). With no open flame, I had to do some improvising, but it worked. You really can’t mess up chocolate. After a somewhat chilly night’s sleep, we awoke early to climb the Pinnacles.

The climb up was pretty rugged, but with some serious clambering over rocks and the help of some rungs drilled into the rock face, we made it to the top. (Again, I told myself that if a 14-year old girl could do it, so could I. Also, not necessarily a favorable comparison, but shame seems to help motivate me.)

After we came down from the peak, we hoisted our packs onto our backs and headed down. Now I know that uphill should be harder, but the downhill was pretty grueling at times. We took a somewhat different, and longer, trail down, which I sort of thought would offer a less vigorous downhill. I’m not sure it did, but the scenery was worth it – I think. Cory’s posted several pictures to help illustrate, as you know that words fail me here.

Anyway, we made it down. I’ve never been so glad to have a long car ride ahead of us; the bliss of sitting for an extended period was wonderful. And other than some sore calves and perhaps a bruise on my collarbone from the weight of the pack, we seem to have recuperated well. We’re even bravely talking about a mountain bike trail ride this weekend. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

momanddadc said...

This blog is a great idea and I hope you two will keep at it. It gives you an accurate journal of your time in New Zealand and is something you will enjoy looking back at in the years to come. I wish that I had kept a journal describing some of the experiences I have had traveling for Bandag and also with trips we have taken as a family. Without writting them down, they have a way of just slipping way from memory. Keep up the good work. We enjoy the narration and the pictures and always look forward to the next episode. Love, Dad and Mom