Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday, August 16th

Thursday I headed over to Tauranga, not far from the hospital where Cory works, to Kaka Street Special School. I haven’t gotten the education system figured out just yet and I think it may be a little while before I do.

I started a long explanatory treatise here, but the reality is that I have more questions than I have answers, and that might not be a real exciting read for those of you not quite as interested in education as I am.

So, to keep it short, I wandered into this school which serves only special education students. I guess you could say that, in the US, it is generally considered an established belief that special education students, of all degrees, should be educated alongside (if not “with”) their regular education peers. There are two such special education schools still remaining in Iowa (Ruby VanMeter in Des Moines and River Hills in Cedar Rapids); they are a little bit of an archaic remnant, but the community of parents in those areas has always fought for them to remain open. Current teachers in Cedar Rapids have taught in the areas’ former special ed schools and can tell you stories about when they brought their students into the regular schools. (Seriously, it is fascinating…)

So I didn’t know (and still don’t) if there is a slightly different attitude in NZ, or if I am working in just one of those rare remaining remnants of an older system. Either way, I would say that Kaka Street struck me as a very “safe” school – the buildings and layout are extremely accessible, they had great equipment, seemed to have well-trained staff, and all the conveniences of a great sped program.

The vice principal (or deputy principal, I guess) was very kind and excited to know that I had experience. She took me down to one of the classrooms and introduced me to the teacher. We stepped out of an especially boisterous music activity and chatted for awhile.

I realized, later, one of the reasons I was so happy to be at Kaka Street. I was actually in a place where I knew what was going on and was not wondering what I was supposed to do. It’s only been a few weeks that we’ve been out of the US, but I think I’ve just been trying hard to study what I’m seeing and figure out if there is something I can apply to myself and use, etc, etc… At Kaka Street, the teacher was listing things she’d like me to do and running though their schedule. It all made sense (I could understand her) and I had done it all before. In addition to helping in the classroom and working with students, she was hoping to have someone make some “resources” (as you say that, emphasize the 2nd syllable, instead of the 1st – it was so cute). She asked if I knew this software program (I did), this software program (I did), and then hesitantly asked if I knew this software program (I did). How good to know what you are talking about and be useful again.

So I will be volunteering out there 2 days a week for now – they were so grateful to have someone and seemed very excited. That goes for me, too!

Now, Cory has been riding into work with a co-worker and continues to really enjoy work. He is amazed (and pleased) by the easier-going atmosphere. They start later, finish earlier, and are thoroughly horrified by the schedule Cory used to keep. He rounded today (Saturday), and was telling a co-worker that he would see him tomorrow. His co-worker was completely flabbergasted that staff would round on patients on a Sunday. Horrified almost!

He continues to make the nurses laugh with requests for items that don’t exist, but it is a good-humored laugh and he continues to be amazed by the kindness of patients and co-workers.

One of the nice things about Cory riding in with his co-worker is that he’s been able to ask a few questions about things we’ve wondered. One thing that I am still not quite able to wrap my mind around is the presence of bare feet.

People are bare-footed outdoors, in gas stations, in grocery stores, in the mall. I am not really a person who hates feet, but I am sort of freaked out by this. I’m not sure. All those signs, “No shirt, no shoes, no service”, keep popping into my mind. But if you look around at others when you spot a bare-footed person, no one else, even the shoed folks seem to evidence any sign of concern. So I will work hard to keep my mind open and, perhaps, I’ll bring this fancy-free, footwear-optional attitude back to the US with me…

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Those falls look identical to the Rio Celeste falls in Costa Rica!! I'm jealous, we'll come visit...if we win the lottery!

SHM said...

Erin! You are a fantastic blogger. Thank you for sending the email w/info in it; I have been reading your pages - they are wonderful (great pics, too, Cory). THis is all very entertaining and I think that maybe you should consider building a book from this blog. Seriously. And I like the ed speak so don't shy away from mentioning your school experiences there. In LA terms (as you are probably very well aware of) NZ has an incredibly high literacy rate. Many literacy researchers from NZ area too. Maybe here in the states we should start leaving our shoes at home and go barefoot at school. :)

SHM said...

Also, I am unsure why I am listed as curious. This is Stacy ;) and I guess I am curious, but somehow I have named myself that while setting up this google account deal. ps...mm says hello.

Andrea said...

Okay, the bit about the bare feet is rather amusing. You must conduct more research to determine what is really going on here!